Great Lakes Research Library
The Library is open to the public by appointment, at 91 Michigan Avenue in downtown South Haven, within sight of the South Haven lighthouse.
The Marialyce Canonie Great Lakes Research Library, is the only library and archive in the state to collect and share information on the entire scope of Michigan's maritime history. This collection consists of almost 4,000 books, videotapes, sound recordings, maps, DVD's, nautical charts and periodicals.
Research questions are currently being accepted by telephone, email, and US mail. There are fees for extensive research and photocopying.
Research and publication are vital to the Michigan Maritime Museum’s mission. Original research for publications, exhibits, public lectures, academic conferences, school programs, guided tours, and interpretive media is encouraged.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any reference questions.
The Great Lakes Center for Maritime Studies (GLCMS), a partnership between the Michigan Maritime Museum and Western Michigan University, seeks to accomplish research and interpretive study of Great Lakes maritime history and heritage.
Policy and Fees
Furthering research is an important element of the mission of the Michigan Maritime Museum. The Marialyce Canonie Great Lakes Research Library focuses on the study of maritime history and anthropology in Michigan from the prehistoric period to the present. The Museum and Research Library both receive and answer requests for research by phone, e-mail, standard mail and in person.
It is the policy of the Maritime Museum/Research Library to 1) answer requests within two weeks of receipt of research fees and 2) direct the patron to other institutions where information may be found if this institution's holdings cannot be of assistance.
The following fees apply to research and image requests performed by library/collections staff:
|Photos printed on high quality photo paper (Plus $2.00 shipping/handling)||$15.00/ea|
|Prints of scanned images on cardstock||$15.00/ea|
|Photos scanned onto CD (Plus $2.00 shipping/handling)||$15.00/ea|
|E-mailing of photos (maximum of 3 photos)||$10/ea.|
|Reproduction of videotapes (Plus $2.00 shipping/handling)||$12/ea.|
(MMM reserves the right to refuse to copy material that is too fragile or does not conform to copyright laws.)
(Questions that can be answered on the phone, by quick e-mail or single photocopy in five minutes or less.)
Note: We invite you to make an appointment to conduct your own research at the Library. Please call 269-637-9156.
It is agreed that use of collection images will be done under the following conditions:
- Payment in full is required at the time of visit or order of image.
- An Image Reproduction Letter of Agreement must be signed and returned to Museum collections staff.
- Reproduction arrangements will be made or approved by the Curator.
- Any reproduction in any format remains the property of the Michigan Maritime Museum.
- Images are to be used one time and only for the purpose stated on the Image Reproduction Letter of Agreement. Additional reproduction of the image(s) must be approved in writing.
- Reproductions may not be superimposed with type matter, used across a fold, or in any way defaced or altered.
- Credit will appear with each image as follows: Michigan Maritime Museum Collection
- Michigan Maritime Museum shall receive a copy of resulting publications, etc. free of charge.