Marialyce Canonie Great Lakes Research Library
Housed in the historic Lightkeeper’s House, the Marialyce Canonie Great Lakes Research Library focuses on the study of maritime history in the Great Lakes and Michigan from the prehistoric period to the present. The Library, is the only library and archive in the state to collect and share information on the entire scope of Michigan’s maritime history. This collection consists of almost 4,000 books, photographs, videotapes/DVDs, sound recordings, maps, nautical charts and periodicals.
The library is currently closed. We hope to have it available by appointment to researchers in the future.
91 Michigan Avenue
South Haven, MI 49090
The library is currently closed. We hope to have it available by appointment to researchers in the future. Research and publication are vital to the Museum’s mission. Original research for publications, exhibits, public lectures, academic conferences, school programs, guided tours, and interpretive media is encouraged. The Museum and Research Library both receive and answer requests for research by phone, e-mail, and standard mail.
Policy and Fees
It is the policy of the Museum to:
- Answer researchers within two weeks of receipt of request.
- Direct the researchers to other institutions where information may be found (when applicable) if this institution’s holdings cannot be of assistance.
It is agreed that use of collection images will be done under the following conditions:
- Payment in full is required at the time of visit or order of image.
- An Image Reproduction Letter of Agreement must be signed and returned to Museum staff.
- Reproduction arrangements will be made or approved by Museum staff.
- Any reproduction in any format remains the property of the Michigan Maritime Museum.
- Images are to be used one time and only for the purpose stated on the Image Reproduction Letter of Agreement. Additional reproduction of the image(s) must be approved in writing.
- Reproductions may not be superimposed with type matter, used across a fold, or in any way defaced or altered.
- Credit will appear with each image as follows: Michigan Maritime Museum Collection
- Michigan Maritime Museum shall receive a copy of resulting publications, etc. free of charge.
Research Library Fees
There is no cost for researchers to make an appointment and conduct their own research within the Library. The following fees apply to research and image requests performed by Museum personnel:
Ready Reference (researched and answered by staff in five minutes or less.) … NO FEE
Photos printed on high quality, standard sized photo paper (Plus shipping/handling) … $15.00/each
Photos scanned onto CD (Plus $2.00 shipping/handling) … $10.00/each
E-mailing of photos (maximum of 5 photos) … $5.00/each
Reproduction of media (Plus shipping/handling) … $20.00/each
Photocopies… $0.50/each (b/w), $1.00/each (color)
Research Projects … $15.00/per hour
**MMM reserves the right to refuse to copy material that is too fragile or does not conform to copyright laws.**